So week 2 here at the new place is coming to conclusion and I have to say – it’s all a little strange here. Or at least strange to me.
Last weekend my mom came down to go Flea Market shopping and to bring more of my stuff down. There is a bit left at her house, I will be picking some of it up this weekend as well. The big thing, my bed was left behind when we could not get it to come apart. Now it is apart and I worry about getting it back together again. :) I will not be bringing that back but I expect in the next week or so it will find it’s way here.
I also got a visit from J and he brought me a housewarming gift – a Pandora bracelet! It was really thoughtful and sweet and I have been wearing it daily – a feat that many will not understand but for me is a HUGE deal.
Yesterday I went to a hot dog cookout sponsored by the apartment complex hoping to meet a few neighbors…but it was during the day so it was mostly moms and kids that attended. It was very nice of them to do it however, so I really can’t complain. I hope at some point I will be able to meet more people. I am not generally good at that – so any push helps.
Here is what I am learning about myself -
- I am generally not a very talkative person but I miss talking – I am even reading this out loud as I write it so that I can hear a voice.
- I call my office a lot more than I thought I would.
- I call my mom and lot less than I thought I would.
- While it is odd to not have the world at my fingertips here in Orange, I don’t really miss it so far. I have what I NEED.
- I am not generally bothered by living with a mess while I sort things out, but I have to say – what is getting on my nerves is not knowing where things will live permanently.
- I have a doctor’s appointment today and I have to go out to Fredericksburg to go see a doctor – my boss said that is what happens when you live on the edge of nowhere.
- Working remotely has its perks – but when you can’t easily sign into the system…it kind of sucks. Today I heard – there is something deeply complicated going on with my account. (wonderful way to start the day and it means I will have to work this weekend I am sure)
- When you only own 4 plates, it is amazing how often you find yourself washing dishes.
- I had the most amazing burger at Wise Guys in Orange this week with my mom and her friend Bev. Yummy! Def worth trying again.
- So far, at least, most of the people here are very nice and polite…at least compared to NOVA (and I realize that is not saying a whole lot)
- I have tended to visit the grocery store at lunch time and it is usually me, stay at home moms and senior citizens. I am not used to being in the minority but there it is.
- I have been to several stores here that are cramped and not in the best shape – messy or even dungy – but the workers there are so much friendlier than at home that I almost don’t notice.
This weekend I will go home to see mom – and return a couple of things to Ikea – and then to Leesburg to see J. All in all – not a bad week 2. Oh – and my couch will be here in a week…so if you were thinking about visiting and need a place to crash for a night I will be ready :)
So apparently April was 5 years since I started this blog…the one I am not good with keeping up with. And since few actually read this anyway (the faithful few!!!), I thought I would like to a couple of my favorite posts of the last 5 years:
A lot of the more personal posts are not listed – if you really want to read about failed relationships, you can explore the blog. But for now – these are my favorites.
So week 1 is coming to a close and I have to say – I love living alone (so far). Yes, it is odd to have no one to physically talk to most of the day. Yes, I am on the phone with work people WAY more than I used to be. Yes, some days I look at the space around me and think – I have to take care of all of this by myself? But overall, I love it.
So what happened this week? I unpacked some more stuff, made piles of stuff, threw out trash from unpacking, moved piles of stuff, cooked/baked for the week, took a drive around the big town of Orange (it took all of 10 minutes), went to a 1 stall farmers market and got my nails done at a small nail salon that I will most likely not go back to. All in all, not a bad week.
I think I will feel much better when I have my couch and I know how the bills are going to fall each month. I need some stability in my life right now. A lot has been up and down obviously. And there seems to be many more piles of stuff I need to deal with.
Today my mom is bringing more stuff down – OMG! – and James is coming for his first visit to Orange. Looking forward to week 2!
Last night I spent the first night at new place. It was weird.
It was too quiet. Too dark. Too unfamiliar.
And it was amazing. :)
No sounds of traffic out the window. No street light burning into my eyes when I tried to close them. A full nights sleep without waking once (partially due to the intense weariness after the move I am sure).
People have been so nice wishing me well. And there were so many great people who have helped me get here.
Today I go grocery shopping and set up my office so I can work on Tuesday. I really can’t wait to see how this all goes down.
I know, I know…most of you gave up on me long ago and figure that you will read this when you stumble upon it…whenever that may actually happen. So you want the update? There is a lot!
- The big news is that I am finally, finally, finally MOVING! I signed a lease on a place in Orange VA and I move next month. It is brand new and it is beautiful and while I don’t expect it to be perfect per se – I am super excited about this step. It will be scary. It will be liberating. It will be exciting and boring and fun and hard and easy and all of that wrapped into one big experiment/experience.
- I just had my 1 year anniversary at my job. If you had asked them my first week if I would be here 1 year later, I am sure nobody would have said yes. It was a rough start as I was pretty sure I had made a colossal mistake. And if you had asked me 2 months ago, I might have said the same thing. I hit a rough patch and while I was assured that it would not affect my future here, it was a tough time and I had to get over more than a few hurt feelings. But things are looking good as I get ready to start working from home. And they are all behind me (even while giving me a hard time)
- I met someone. I am trying – actively – to not talk much about it, but he is great. And the move doesn’t scare him. And I am enjoying getting to know someone new. Nuff said.
- This weekend I say goodbye – or see you later J – to one of the best little families I know and a small wunderkid that makes me smile. I will be weepy and stupid I am sure. I should be used to goodbyes but they never seem to get any easier.
I am currently packing – and BTW if you have boxes…I need some – and organizing, and clearing out. I have about 6000 piles of random things that need a home or a trashcan. Each day, I make a small dent in the piles. It seems to be never ending. On the plus side, I have been offered a few of the furniture pieces I needed by some very generous friends and so the place will come together better than I had thought it would in the beginning. I still have a lot to do and the time is running short.
There is much I leave behind me however – that I will miss:
- The girls in the office who make me laugh at least a couple times a day
- The safety of the familiar
- Celebration Singers
- My mom (who is of course not going away but will not be as accessible – check your answering machine mom!)
- Ikea moments from my house
Saying all of that, I am mostly going to miss living in a place where everything is at my fingertips.
And you know what – there are a lot of things I will NOT miss:
- No view
- No stars that I can see at night thanks to the lights
- Having things at my fingertips…sometimes it is just too easy to overindulge
I feel like I have been hanging on this cliff for a year waiting to jump and it is finally happening. I am preparing to fly. Wish me luck on the journey!