Yesterday I posted a new post about ask vs. guess people. And I identified myself as a guess person. And overnight I thought a lot about what that really meant in my life and how it impacted my view of the world.
- I am not someone who easily makes or holds on to friends. I never really sat down to figure that out, and I could be completely wrong, but I can think of several “Guesser” qualities that could contribute.
- I am reluctant to call some people because they might be too busy and I will feel rejected.
- I am reluctant to reach out to people who may not be receptive to it.
- I am not inclined to continue to put myself out there if I get no response at first try.
- Once the initial connection has been established, if you move or circumstances change – like you move away, or we met at work and you get a new job, or the group we were both in ends – I find it difficult to reach back out to that person. I assume that since the initial reason we met has gone away, you are probably not interested in keeping it going.
- I do not negotiate. I am not good at it. Not in car buying, not in salary negotiations, not at yard sales. And a large part of it comes down to asking for more or less (as the case may be) than was offered. Makes me an easy target and/or holds me back from what I could be achieving.
I am still processing the rest of the my thoughts on this…maybe there will be a part 3.